- Back to the main Help page
- Recent Articles
- Rated Articles
- Compose Article
- Select Title Image
- Edit An Article
- Draft Articles
This help page describes how to create and view articles. For guidelines on content, please visit here. To view or create articles, click on the Articles tab in the menu bar labelled E in the image on the right (click to view). When you select Articles from your own page, there are four options presented in the secondary menu (labelled F). When you select Articles on another member’s page, there are only two options available, ‘Recent Articles’ and ‘Rated Articles’.
Here you can view all the articles that you have uploaded to Kiribu. The most recently uploaded article is listed first. You can view, edit and delete any of your articles from this page.
If you are viewing another member’s Recent Articles, you can view and rate their articles by clicking on the 5 stars. You can only rate another member’s article, and you can give it a score between 1 and 5 stars where 5 is the highest. You can only rate an article once, so be careful where you click! Find out more about ratings here.
When you view an article, you can rate it. If you have rated an article, it will be listed here. They are ordered by rating, the highest listed first. This makes it easier for you to find previously viewed articles.
If you are viewing another member’s Rated Articles, you can view all the articles they have rated.
Select this tab to compose a new article. There are a few stages to creating an article.
Your article must have a title! Enter a title that helps users to quickly understand what your article is about. Select ‘Set Article Title and Continue’. You can always change the title later.
This is the editor, where you submit your article content. You can type freely. The editor is WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) so you can lay out your article as you would like it to appear on the site. You will notice there is a tool bar along the top of the editor. The icons select the following, usually if the text is highlighted. You can highlight text by dragging your mouse pointer over it while holding down the left button.
- Format – Select the text format from here – Paragraph, or Headings
- Bold Style – change the highlighted text to bold format
- Italic Style – change the highlighted text to italic format
- Bullet Points – list text as an unordered bulleted list
- Numbered List – list items in a numbered list
- Quote Text – display highlighted text as a quote
- Link Text – make highlighted text a link. You can only link to pages on Kiribu
- Unlink Text – cancel a highlighted link
- Spell and Grammar Check – click this button to complete a full spelling and grammar check of your text. This currently only works with English text
- Add Image – Click ‘Upload & Insert Images’ to add photos to your article. Images are inserted wherever your cursor is located
You can also easily copy and paste text from another source. For example, you may have written your article offline in Word. Just copy the text, right-click in the editor and select paste.
To add an image, click ‘Upload & Insert Images’ at the right end of the tool bar at the top of the editor. This will bring up the ‘Upload and Add an Image’ dialogue as shown.
Click ‘Select Files’ to choose images from your computer. Use Control (Ctrl) or Shift (^) to select multiple files. Click ‘Open’ to start uploading your chosen files. Once the upload is complete, you can click ‘Edit Image Details’ to set up the image as you prefer.
- Title – Set the title of the image.
- Description – Add a description of the image.
- Edit Image – edit how the image is displayed. Selecting this brings up more options, e.g. cropping the image or rotating it. The toolbar above the image has 7 icons; Crop, rotate left, rotate right, flip vertically, flip horizontally, undo edit, redo edit.
- To scale the image, select ‘Scale Image’ and change one of the dimensions. The other dimension will be adjusted accordingly. Click ‘Scale’ to confirm your selection.
- To crop the image, click on the image and drag to select the area you wish to crop. You can set the aspect ratio of the selection, 1:1 is useful to set the thumbnail. Once you are happy with the selection, click the crop icon on the tool bar.
- Use the other toolbar icons to rotate or flip your image.
- You can undo or redo each change you made using the buttons on the toolbar.
- Select which versions of your image are changed.
- Click ‘Save’ once you are happy with all your edits. You can always restore your image to the original version.
Select ‘Hide Image Details’ to easily pick another image to edit. When you have finished all your edits click ‘Save all changes’.
Inserting Images Into Article
- place the cursor where you want your first image to appear
- click ‘Upload & Insert Images’ to bring up the ‘Upload and Add an Image’ window
- select the ‘Article Gallery’ tab.
- click ‘Edit Image Details’ for the image you wish to insert
- align the image
- None – This places a thumbnail of the image at the left of the page, with text below it
- Left – This places a thumbnail of the image at the left of the page, with text wrapping around it
- Center – This places a thumbnail of the image in the center of the page, with text below it
- Right – This places a thumbnail of the image at the right of the page, with text wrapping around it
- click ‘Insert Image’ to place the image in to the article
To help other members find your article, select which locations your article covers. You can select multiple locations.
Categorise Your Article
To help other members find your article, select which categories your article covers. You can select multiple categories.
Tag Your Article
If there are other keywords relevant to your article that aren’t covered in the Location and Category lists you can add them here, separated by a comma.
Save As Draft
If you aren’t ready to publish your article, you can select ‘Set as draft?’.
Click ‘Save as draft’ to save your article.
Select Title Image
By default, the first image uploaded to your article is used as the title image. You can select another image, even one that is not displayed in the article. The title image can easily be changed after you have finished adding the images, and clicked ‘Save all changes’, or later on by selecting ‘Upload & Insert Images’ to bring up the ‘Upload & Add an Image’ dialogue.
Select the ‘Article Gallery’ tab to manage your uploaded photos as shown below. Enter ‘1′ in the order column for the title image, and enter ‘2′ for all the other images. Click ‘Save all changes’. The image labelled 1 will be the title image for your album, even if you haven’t inserted the image in to your article.
Edit An Article
To edit an article that you have previously created, select ‘Recent Articles ‘ and click ‘Edit this article’ for your chosen article. You can edit your article as described in the Compose Article section above. Remember to save your changes when you are finished.
You can access any articles you have saved as a draft to edit, delete or publish them under this tab.
Return to the Help directory here.