- Back to the main Help page
- Find a Group
- Join a Group
- Group Types
- Create a Group
- Manage your Groups
- Group Home Page
- Group Admin
- Group Forum
- Leave a Group
- Delete a Group
The Groups feature on Kiribu lets you collect together articles, photos and ideas about a subject by different members, and to discuss the subject in the same place. For example you could have a group about Mountain Biking in Spain, and members can post any information they have to the group.
Find a Group
Searching for groups on Kiribu is easy using the search box in the Groups section of the side bar. The results will find any reference to the search term in the group.
Search by name, but also by subject, location, activity, anything. The search result displays two tabs, the results of searching ‘All Groups’ on Kiribu and the results from searching groups you are member of (‘My Groups’).
Once you have found a group you want to join, click ‘Join Group’ next to the group name.
You can also find out about new groups by viewing articles and albums as some are linked to one or more groups. Click on the group avatar or name to go to the group home page.
Join a Group
There are 3 groups types, Public, Private and Hidden. When you create a group you can select which type of group you want.
- Public – anyone can view this group, including non-members. Any Kiribu member can join the group
- Private – anyone can view this group, including non-members. New members must be invited to join, or must request membership. This type of group is very useful for businesses who want to work together to provide information to users
- Hidden – only members can view this group, and new members must be invited to join
Create a Group
- To create a group, click on the ‘Groups’ tab in the primary menu (labelled E in the image on the right). This will take you to your group management page
- Select ‘Create a Group’ from the secondary menu (labelled F in the image on the right)
- Enter a name and a description for your group. Then click ‘Continue’. (You can edit these later)
- The ‘Privacy Options’ page lets you control who can view your group. Click ‘Continue’ after you have made your selection
- You can add a picture for your group on the Avatar page
- It is best to upload an image that is at least 100 pixels square to ensure a good quality image, but we advise against uploading an image that is larger than 500 pixels square
- Select ‘Choose …’ or ‘Browse …’ to find an image on your computer, and ‘Upload Image’ to upload the image
- Your image will be displayed, and you can select any area to crop it. Click ‘Crop Image’ once you are happy with your selection and ‘Continue’ to move to the final stage
- Finally, you can invite any of the members you are following, or your followers to join the group. You can also search for other members to invite to the group
- Click ‘Finish’ to complete setting up your group
Manage your Groups
On your home page you can view all your groups via the Groups tab on the primary menu. You can also create a group from this page by clicking ‘Create Groups’ in the secondary menu bar. There are two tabs within the Groups page.
All the groups you own or are member of are listed here. You have the option to leave a group here by selecting ‘Leave Group’.
If you have been invited to join a group, the invite will be in this page. A number next to Invites will indicate the number of outstanding invites.
Group Home Page
After you click to view a group, you are taken to the group home page, from where you can access all the content within a group. There are a number of regions within the group home page listed below, as well as a number of features you can access. Refer to the image on below to identify each area.
Group Information Zone – Area A
This is where you find information about the group.
- Group Avatar – this will be used as the icon for the group
- Group Title
- Group Type – Public, Private or Hidden
- Active Status – When the last update to the group happened
- Group Admins – All the administrators of the group
- Group Description – click ‘view’ to read the full description and ‘hide’ to minimise it
Primary Menu Bar – Area B
This menu has up to 7 tabs.
- Activity – This is the activity stream, and shows any updates to the group. Any member can post a status update here
- Articles – Any articles assigned to the group are listed here
- Photos – Any photo albums assigned to the group are listed here
- Admin – This section is only seen by administrators and moderators, and is for group maintenence
- Members – All the group members are listed here
- Send Invites – You can invite new members to join from this group
Secondary Menu Bar – Area C
Some of the pages have a secondary menu bar with extra options.
Content Zone – Area D
This is where all the content for each page is displayed
There are three levels of membership to a group
- Member – This is the standard level that all new group members automatically receive. All members can add articles, photos and statuses to the group. A member can also contribute to the group forum
- Moderator – A moderator can also change the title and description of a group
- Administrator – When you start a group, you are automatically the administrator. The administrator can do everything a moderator or member can, and can change the membership level of any member, and can also choose to ban a member. The administrator can change the privacy settings, avatar and can delete the group
There must always be an administrator for the group, but the current administrator can promote another member to administrator and demote themselves.
As an administrator or moderator you have access to the group settings via the Group Admin tab.
- Edit Details – Change the group title and description here. These are the only settings the moderator can change
- Privacy Settings – Set the privacy level of the group here
- Group Avatar – Update the group avatar here
- Manage Members – Change the membership level of each member here or ban them from the group!
- Delete Group – If you want to end the group and remove it from Kiribu, this is where to do it
Leave a Group
You can leave a group at any time. An administrator cannot leave a group. To leave a group select ‘Leave Group’ from the group home page, or from a listing of groups you are member of, either from the manage groups listing or by doing a search for the group.
If the administrator wants to leave the group, they can promote one of the other members to administrator and demote themselves before leaving the group.
Delete a Group
Only an administrator can delete a group. To delete a group, follow these instructions.
- Go to the group home page
- Select the ‘Admin’ tab in the primary menu
- Select ‘Delete Group’ in the secondary menu
- Tick the confirmation box and click ‘Delete Group’
If other group members want to continue the group, the administrator can promote one of them to administrator and demote themselves before leaving the group.
Return to the Help directory here.